Thursday 18 December 2014

My thoughts about walking

Beethoven from last winter.

One thing I've been astonished about as a dog owner, other people and dog owners seem shocked that I walk my dog minimum 3 times a day. Why is that such a shook? 3 walks a day isn’t much in my honest opinion, and I wish I was better at walking my dog. All dogs should be allowed to go out of their home for a minimum of one hour. It doesn’t have to be a long walk in the wild woods and mountains, but at least a short walk on perhaps 15 - 30 minutes, 3 times a day. Everyone should be able to squeeze in that time in a day, if not, well you'll have to consider if a dog's the suitable pet for you.
I've a lot of stuff going on in my life, so it's kind of nice to have a break from it all. I'm pretty sure you guys feel the same too, lot of stress, nagging, plenty of things you have to do but never get to do anyway, worries, happiness which you can't deal with properly... that sort of thing.
 When walking the dog I leave most of my worries at home, turning of the mobile phone, leaving the computer who eats up way too much time of my life. Just walking around in my own thoughts and mind while the dog doing, dog stuff, I guess. To getting the mind in order and sorted out. Or just to dwell on some conversations from months back (wait a minute... did he call me fat? How dare he!) or coming up with awesome discussions and practice for them, even though you never get to use them any time or anywhere. Or perhaps think about things that you might think about in bed (Oh what will I've for dinner. Pizza sounds kinda nice. I love pizza. Do I've any in the freezer? Some mozzarella and ham would be yummy too, or do I've steak...) Suddenly I look down on my watch to realize I've been out for over a hour, time to head back home. Some cases coming back to my entrance door thinking «I'm already home? What the...»
Time flies while walking the dog, and after a good walk one feels more relaxed and connected. Maybe came up with some ideas how to untangle some things of personal matter or perhaps job related. I believe it's good for everyone to have that sort of break during the day. Just enjoying the sweet company of a fluffy ball of fur. It's good therapy. It makes me kind of sad that a lot of people don’t even give it a chance. After a few weeks, or perhaps a month or two, it feels like the most natural thing. You wake up in the morning, getting ready and take the dog out for a short walk before breakfast. Shortly it's just a part of your morning routine, like brushing your teeth or hair, or trying to get those beloved five more minutes in bed, your morning coffee with the newspaper.
I think many dog owners will be surprised how easy it really is to take the dog for three or more walks a day. Not only does it make your dog happy, it's also good for your and the dogs health. I know I get stressed when I'm not out with my dog or at least together with the dog in a social way , simply because I'm so used to it. I remember the dog was away for a couple days and it really did stress me out because I didn’t get to go out the way I was used to. I do know a lot of people who feel that way. I guess humans are habit animals, don't like much change in their daily routines when it's already set. It's just isn’t natural for us to stop doing what we do every day, not just every day, but multiply times a day.
So what do you think about walking the dog? How's your day with the dog? I would like to hear from you folks, so leave a comment or two if you want to, it would make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment