Saturday 20 December 2014

How I am dealing with allergies

Sorry, buddy, no more sleeping in the bed for you.

Or at least how I'm planning to deal with it. For about a week ago I got ascertained that I've allergy for dogs (and all kind of fur animals for the matter), which was kind of a shook for me since I've grown up will all kinds of pets, horses, cats, rats, hamsters.... You name it. I've never felt allergic when I've had Beethoven, no sneezing, no red eyes, no nothing. But apparently the stress of the allergy have caused my body to attack the skin, giving it open wounds and generally made me sick.
Shelties are known for being kind of allergy friendly dogs, many with dog allergies doesn’t react on their fur as much as other types of shedding dogs. However they're not listed as allergy friendly and may most likely never be either since its very individually both for the dogs and the people. Maybe that's why I haven’t noticed much of it, I don’t know.

So to the dealing part.
When I came home from the doctors office, I started to do some research on the internet on how other people dealt with their allergies. I found one product (or actually a series of products.) that looked very promising. Apparently about 90% of the users got better after using this product. It sounded too good to be true. Hopefully it's not just a sales trick and it really does work. The product is called Petal Cleanse from Bio-life. Very simple to use, just grooming the dog and apply the liquid in the fur. Even a dummy could do that.
I've only been using the product once though, but it does look promising. My hands doesn’t feel as weird now after the treatment. Great bonus is that Beethovens fur became so nice and shiny, and it doesn’t seem like it has any negative effect on him either. I would never use it on him if it was bad for him.
Other things I'm doing for getting better.
- Vacuuming at least once a week. I could be better at it though, but at least I'm doing something. (Do I need to say that I wish for a robot vacuum for christmas?)
- Beethoven's not allowed on the bedroom anymore. Not even on the floor. Kind of hard thing to do, he has been sleeping in my bed since he came here. It has gone better than expected, both for me and him.
- Bathing the dog more frequently. I hate it and so does the dog. Bath time has never been any pleasure in this household, he doesn’t like to get wet and runs away then I even think about giving him a bath. But its for the better.
- Limiting contact with other dogs. I love dogs, I really do, but its not a good thing to be all cuddly with the allergy. One thing's my own dog which has been treated for allergens, an whole other thing about other dogs, specially those who are not allergy friendly.
- Renew the air in the apartment more often. Okay, this one would be a little hard to do now, it's -10C out and about 15 cm with snow. Not to mention how expensive it would be. But in the fall, spring and summer I should open up the windows to bring in some fresh air. It would be good for the work/indoor environment as well.


I think that's the most of it, except taking the meds and treatment, but I'm sure everyone with common sense would do that if they needed to. How do you deal with your allergies?

No comments:

Post a Comment