Saturday 21 December 2013

Weekly breed: Shetland Sheepdog.



© adogslifephoto - Fotolia.com
Trying to make a weekly thing, that I'll write about one breed. Today I want to write about my highly beloved breed, the Shetland Sheepdog, also known as «Sheltie» in the dog world.

The breed standard indicated that the Sheltie should be a friendly looking dog that is affectionate and have attention to their owner. As I a sheltie owner, I can say that the dog is guilty on all points. A big dog in a small package. The sheltie's a working dog, have to be in activity to be a happy and well functional dog. It should also be using its brain a lot. I feel bad every time I see a sheltie who doesn't get to think and figure out solutions. Such a waste of a beautiful mind. There's not a coincidence that the breed's always on top in competitions and lists over most intelligent dogs.
If you don't teach the dog something useful, he would learn by him own, and that would not always be pleased for their owner. My dog can turn on the DVD player, stereo, TV, unlock some doors, turn on all my gaming consoles, he even turns off my desktop if he thinks I should spend more time with him! If my films weren't out of his reach, I'm pretty sure he would watch a movie anytime I'm leaving the home.

© jagodka - Fotolia.com
It's not hard to figure why this breed has gone so popular. Smart, charming, affectionate and a workaholic. I wouldn't say it's a easy breed to handle, as many people say. If it doesn't get what it needs, it can be catastrophic. However, if you know what a dog needs, it's relatively easy to handle compared to other breeds, since it got a mild temper. The breed works best in small families or for singles, since the dog usually just bond to one person. Herding's still pretty set in the breed, so you've to watch it, so it doesn't herd children, cars, bicks, rabbits... anything that moves, and even things that doesn't move.
They're also quite vocal, not necessary barking, but they got a huge range of sounds and expressions. You'll know what your sheltie needs, since he will tell you, all the ways he can. They like to take a little patrol loop, checking in on everyone in the household. Follow people around the house. Some also like to keep their people together,in a room so a lightly herding also there.

Grooming's easy on these dogs. Even though they got a thick, long coat, it's easy to maintain. Brush through the coat a couple days a week, and you are good. The thin coat around the ears needs a brush through about everyday, since it easily tangles. If you gonna use the dog for shows, or just like the dog to look good, the paws and ears needs to be maintained with a shear. There's a lot of great instructions on the internet how to groom. I'll post in some of my favorites. The loose fur is suitable for making yarn, for anyone who would be interested of doing so.



Next up; The Pumi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment