Monday 2 December 2013

The Joys of Puppyhood

Owning a puppy is wonderful. You always have a little furry friend around your feet. One to chew on your toes whenever you're about to move, where ever you're going. Jumping on you, just when you're picking up a pen. Or when you forget to take that cup of coffee you've been longing for the whole morning and at times even after noon, and you don't wanna fight your way back to the kitchen for getting it. When you do, and you go back to your seat, he put his front paws on your lap and lick your hands, thigh, belly... whatever he can reach. All with a waging tail and cute eyes that tells «play with me, pet me, love me.» Those eyes are really hard to resist.
Being waked up at 3 am by a howling puppy that woke up by people coming home from the city, why he's howling? He wants to greet them of course. And again at 5 am because he has to go out! And there's only a matter of seconds before he sits down in your bed and pee. Afterwards he rolls up next to you and want you to rub his little belly. Licking his mouth in pure joy, while he's rubbing his back in your bed, making it furry since you forgot to groom him that one day. Ah those puppy joys.
I remember a time when Beethoven was 9 weeks old. He was cute, charming perhaps, and he always opened my wardrobe to get my panties and socks. It continued for weeks till I put on a lock on it. Now he stands up on his back-legs and begs for me to open it, when ever he wants to go in there. What he's gonna do with them, I've no idea, but he really loves them. I guess it's because they smell like me.
I kind of miss the days when I had to go out with Beethoven in the middle of the night. He runs out, doing his business and come back. Then he wants to play, so he runs around in circles, kind of jumpily on the way back in. When we're indoors, he roll up on the doormat and fell asleep instantly.

It's things like these who seems so frustrating at that point, but when you look back at it, it's so cozy and enjoyable. I guess it's all the awake nights and the extra cleaning that makes it hard to see. I personally wouldn't changed these months with anything else. The days go way too fast, and without warning your little pup has hit puberty and starts out as a young dog. A young dog with his new needs and desires. Soon enough, he isn't as independent of you, and find other dogs and people more interesting at periods. But deep within, he's still your little puppy that you spend awaken nights with. Comforting him when he thought things were a little too scary. Giving him all love and attention when he needed it the most. You were there when he first dared to walk down the stairs, all by him self, for the very first time. You were the one that he followed like glued when he was a tiny pup and thought the world was big and scary. It's all good memories that's worth keeping. Enjoy your puppy time, it's over before you know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment